Located just southeast of Boulder, Lafayette provides residents with easy access to Boulder and its natural beauty but at more affordable prices than you can find in Boulder itself.
This makes Lafayette an ideal community for young families who love the outdoors. If you’re looking into Lafayette real estate listings as a possible new home location, a good place to start is an overview of the city.
Lafayette Colorado Town Overview
Lafayette is a smaller city, with an estimated population of about 24,450 people.
Because of its close proximity to Boulder, residents have easy access to the University of Colorado Boulder, the Flatirons and all of Boulder’s hiking, biking and outdoor activities.
In addition, Lafayette also has its own sense of community. The city offers residents:
- A strong art scene – Lafayette won the 2012 Governor’s Art Award
- A serious emphasis on environmental sustainability – In 2008, the City Council passed a resolution to implement methods of reducing the city’s contribution to global greenhouse gas emission. Since then, the city has established various programs to support this imitative, including:
- Green Business Awards
- Public Works green Projects
- 2012 Toilet Rebate Program
- Yard Waste Pick Up & Drop Off/Mulch/Christmas Tree Recycling
- An events plaza to enhance a sense of community – Festival Plaza is located in Old Town Lafayette. It is a series of four smaller plazas designed to facility different types of events.
- 1,300 acres of open space – This contributes to Lafayette’s small-town feel. The open space is intended to help:
- Preserve and restore natural areas for plants and animals
- Protect water resources
- Protect wildlife habitats
- Provide a space for walking, photography and nature studies
- Shape the city and limit urban noise and congestion
Lafayette is a family-friendly neighborhood. The nearby schools receive average to excellent reviews based on standardized testing scores compared to other schools in Colorado.
Lafayette has a significantly low crime rate, and those that are reported are mostly non-violent crimes.
Lafayette Colorado Real Estate Overview
The median sale price for homes in Lafayette between March and May of this year was $294,000. This shows a 2.5% decrease compared to the prior quarter and an increase of 17.6% from last year. Home prices have appreciated by 17.8% in the last five years, so you can be confident in making an investment in Lafayette.
The average price of homes sold in June was $403,695, which shows a decline of 2.5% compared to May, so now might be a good time to buy in Lafayette.
The average price per square foot in Lafayette is $192, an increase of 22.3% from last year.
If Lafayette seems like a good city for you and your family, start your search through a Lafayette real estate MLS. This will show you all the current listings and details about each house.
Searching for Real Estate in Lafayette?
If you are looking for a small-town feel close to the mountains and Boulder, it’s worth taking a closer look at Lafayette.
I am a Denver/Boulder area real estate agent. If you are interested in learning more about buying or selling a home in Lafayette, please contact me.