Boulder, Colorado Condos & Townhomes: Buying Advice
Learn my advice for buying a condo or townhome in Boulder, Colorado. The real estate market is hot for Boulder condos, so get in early!
Boulder, Colorado is considered by many people to be one of the best places to live, offering a balance of urban life and mountain living.
Because it is such a beloved city, though, Boulder real estate is expensive. Homes in Boulder often cost double that of comparable homes in other areas of Colorado. At the same time, the estimated median household income in 2009 (the most recent statistics available) was $47,967, about $7,500 less than the Colorado state average. As a result, people often rent for many years.
But if you want to live in Boulder, Colorado and own a home, one of the best ways of finding affordable property is to look into condos and townhomes.
Real Estate Statistics for Boulder, Colorado Condos and Townhomes
There is a strong market for condos and townhomes in Boulder.
- Median list price: $289,000
- Median days on the market: 51
- Median condo size: 1,094 square feet
- Median price per square feet: $242
The real estate market has stayed strong in Boulder throughout the housing crisis in the rest of the country. In fact, sales in May 2012 for single-family homes and condos were 40% higher than those in May 2011 for Boulder County. Total sales are up 23% from last year.
Finding Your Perfect Condo or Townhome in Boulder
Different areas of Boulder offer different advantages for residents, depending on what you are looking for.
- If you’re looking to buy and live in an upscale area that offers shopping, entertainment and eating within walking distance, you may look near the Pearl Street Mall area.
- If you’re looking to buy and live in a quieter area closer to Boulder’s hiking trails and natural beauty, West Boulder may be the spot for you.
- If West Boulder isn’t green enough for your taste, check out South Boulder for more open spaces and views of the Flatirons.
No matter where you choose, the entire city offers excellent public transportation and off-road, paved bike paths so you can get from one area to the next without ever having to use your car (if you don’t want to).
Starting Your Search
Whether you’ve been renting in Boulder and you’re now ready to start searching for a condo or townhome to buy or you are preparing to move to Boulder and want to establish some roots in the city, the best place you can start your search is with a Boulder Real Estate Agent, like myself.